General Process for Conducting Peer Reviews of Teaching at IU School of Medicine
- A faculty member contacts FAPD to request a peer review of teaching. A team member reaches out to you to conduct the review.
- You agree, and a review appointment is scheduled via a calendar invitation to you and the reviewee.
- You contact the reviewee to schedule your pre-review meeting (approximately 30 minutes).
- At the pre-review meeting, you discuss goals, gather any materials to be reviewed, and edit the peer review template to reflect the teaching scenario.
- You conduct the review. If it is a synchronous review, make sure to spend about one hour and observe both the learners and the faculty member if possible.
- Complete the peer review form during and after your observation.
- Schedule your post-review meeting with the reviewee, reviewing your draft form with the reviewee, and discussing an action plan for future improvements.
- Revise the completed peer review form and send it to the reviewee. The form now becomes the property of the reviewee.