"Mentoring up" is the active role that mentees have in shaping the mentoring relationship. When mentoring up, the mentee learns to proactively manage their mentoring relationship.
Mentees are mentoring up when they:
- think and assess what they are seeking from mentors.
- shift from thinking about good and bad mentors to the core attributes of effective mentoring relationships.
- recognize that effective mentoring is not just about mentors guiding mentees but also about mentees guiding mentors.
- learn more about recent theoretical practical and research advances to guide development of effective mentoring skills.
- become familiar with key resources to continue building their skills as mentees and mentors.