Dr. Sharma received her bachelor’s degree from University of Texas at Arlington and her doctoral degree from University of North Texas Health Science center. She completed her postdoctoral training at University of Iowa under Dr. Budd Tucker and her second postdoctoral work under Dr. Colleen McDowell. She joined Indiana University School of Medicine as an Assistant Professor within the Department of Ophthalmology and adjunct appointments in Pharmacology and Toxicology. Her research focuses on understanding intraocular and intracranial pressure associated pathogenesis in glaucoma and Spaceflight Associated Neuro-ocular Syndrome, generation of patient specific neuronal cells, disease modeling of central nervous system diseases, and neuroprotection/regeneration therapeutics.
2019-present ISER - International Society for Eye Research
2013-present Sigma Xi – The Scientific Research Society Member
2003-present WEAVR- Women in Eye And Vision Research
2011-present AOPT - Association for Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics
2009-present AAAS - American Association for the Advancement of Science
2009-present ARVO - Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
1. Sharma, T. P., Curry, S. M., Lohawala, H., McDowell, C. Translaminar Autonomous System Model for the Modulation of Intraocular and Intracranial Pressure in Human Donor Posterior Segments. J. Vis. Exp. (158), e61006, doi:10.3791/61006. 2020
2. Sharma TP, Curry SM, McDowell CM. Effects of TLR4 inhibition on TGFβ2 signaling in the human trabecular meshwork. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2019 Dec 13. doi: 10.1089/jop.2019.0076.
3. Sharma TP, Giacalone JC, Burnight ER, Fingert JF, Mullins RF, Stone EM, Tucker BA. CRISPR-Cas9-Based Genome Editing of Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. Curr Protoc Stem Cell Biol. 2018 Feb 28;44:5B.7.1-5B.7.22. doi: 10.1002/cpsc.46. PubMed PMID: 29512106.
4. Sharma TP, Wiley LA, Whitmore SS, Anfinson KR, Cranston CM, Oppedal DJ, Daggett HT, Mullins RF, Tucker BA, Stone EM. Patient-specific induced pluripotent stem cells to evaluate the pathophysiology of TRNT1-associated Retinitis pigmentosa. Stem Cell Res. 2017 May; 21:58-70. doi: 10.1016/j.scr.2017.03.005. PubMed PMID: 28390992. Cover of journal.
5. Jain A, Zode G, Kasetti RB, Ran FA, Yan W, Sharma TP, Bugge K, Searby CC, Fingert JH, Zhang F, Clark AF, Sheffield VC. CRISPR-Cas9-based treatment of myocilin-associated glaucoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017 Oct 17;114(42):11199-11204.
Titles & Appointments
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Pharmacology & Toxicology